Kristi Plummer '07 wins 2012 Milken Award

Date: December 18, 2012

Former Aggie student and current Alvin ISD teacher Kristi Plummer '07 recently received the 2012 Milken Family Foundation Educator Award. Watch her video.

CEHD: What was your major when you attended the College of Education and Human Development?
Kristi: I received a Bachelor’s in Interdisciplinary Studies – 4-8th grade math and science.

CEHD: What do you do now?
Kristi: I’m a teacher at Passmore Elementary in Alvin Texas. I teach at risk 2-5th grade children – I help bridge the gaps and help them with fundamentals.

CEHD: What does being a teacher mean to you?
Kristi: Being a teacher means connecting with the children first. Once you do that everything else falls into place and you can focus on academics.

CEHD: What advice would you give to up and coming teachers, especially those studying at Texas A&M?
Kristi: I would tell them to be themselves. Be open to new ideas and be flexible. As I mentioned, connecting with the children is so important.

CEHD: About the Milken Family Foundation Education award, we understand Governor Perry surprised you and presented it in front of the entire school. How did that make you feel?
Kristi:  I had no idea! It was such a big surprise.  All week the school was being prepared for a distinguished visitor – I had no idea it was all for me. Having the Governor and the Commissioner of Education there – and all of the kids cheering for me, it was such an honor. It felt great.

Tags: