Mission & Vision
The overall vision of the We Teach Texas P12 Mentoring and Coaching Academy is to transform the preparation of teacher mentors by providing evidence-based professional development for P12 mentors and coaches who support beginning teachers throughout the state of Texas. Our mission is to:
- Build capacity among P12 teacher mentors
- Support the retention of quality teachers
- Engage school districts as mutual partners to accelerate capacity building among mentors
Who Should Participate
This program is designed for P12 teachers who have two or more years of experience who want to enhance their mentoring and coaching capacity for beginning teachers and prepare to take on greater leadership responsibilities within their school district.
The We Teach Texas P12 Mentoring and Coaching Academy welcomes individuals or teams from school districts around the state of Texas. Attendance by multiple teachers within a campus or district will foster unity of purpose, amplify the program’s impact, and enable participants to continue supporting one another’s mentoring development after the initial training. Group registration is available for school districts that qualify for the Texas Education Agency’s Mentor Program Allotment funding.
- Fulfill required mentor training – TEC §21.458
- Earn CPE hours
- Learn best practices in mentoring and coaching skills
- Inspire the next generation of beginning teachers
- Enhance interpersonal, leadership, reflection, and coaching
- Improve career mobility
- Connect with a community of mentors
- Develop one’s own teaching skills
This online Level 1 program is designed to be self-paced with additional support from our virtual coordinators. Upon completion of the program, certificates are awarded to participants who successfully complete the training.
The We Teach Texas P12 Mentoring and Coaching Academy is a pre-approved provider of Continuing Professional Education (CPE) hours – authorized by the Texas Education Agency. Our P12 Mentoring and Coaching Academy offers research-based mentor training. Download the scope and sequence to learn more about our curriculum.
The Mentor and Coaching Academy is excited to collaborate with you in support of your application for MPA funds. To complete your Mentor Program Allotment application, please download an outline of our curriculum’s scope and sequence document and brochure for the Level 1 training and submit both items with your application.
- $149.99 for an individual registrant not affiliated with Texas A&M University
- $129.99 for two or more registrants who are not affiliated with Texas A&M University
- $99.99 for registrants from any of the Colleges of Education in the Texas A&M University System
Register today! If you are purchasing Level 1: Certified Mentor for district sales, contact us to begin the activating process.
Level 1: Certified Mentor
15 CPE Units
Personalized learning meets a community of practice in an online self-paced training for P12 educators who are interested in learning the fundamentals of mentoring and coaching.
Takeaways: Level 1
The We Teach Texas P12 Mentoring and Coaching Academy utilizes a professional development curriculum that is upheld by the following four pillars:
- Standards-driven, and
Through a rich online learning experience that includes a virtual coach, case studies, video exercises, and group discussions, participants will explore the best practices of mentoring and coaching for beginning teachers as well as uncovering the personal core of mentoring with a human-centered philosophy and leadership style.
- Adult Learning Theory and Developing a Mentoring Philosophy
- The Mentor/Mentee Dyad
- High Leverage Teaching Practices
- Best Practices in Mentoring
- Coaching Beginning Teachers
- Online Mentoring
- Performance Management; Providing Quality Written and Oral Feedback Aligned to the Texas Teacher Evaluation & Support System (T-TESS) Standards
MCA’s 2021 Debriefing Schedule with a Virtual Coach
- June 10 + 24
- July 8 + 22
- August 12 + 26
- September 9 + 23
- October 14 + 28
- November 11 + 18
- December 9 + 16
In addition, you will have the opportunity to create a performance management plan: a blueprint for tracking the growth of future beginning teachers under your tutelage.
The We Teach Texas P12 Mentoring and Coaching Academy is a collaboration among the College of Education and Human Development at Texas A&M University, the We Teach Texas initiative of the Texas A&M University System, and facilitated by the Education Leadership Research Center at Texas A&M University.