We Teach Texas P12 Mentoring and Coaching Academy
A self-paced online mentoring and coaching certificate opportunity for P12 teachers.
Are you a P12 classroom or cooperating teacher looking for strategies to best support beginning teachers? This self-paced online Level 1 course explores the best practices in mentoring and coaching for P12 classroom teachers and offers ways to positively impact a beginning teacher’s readiness to teach. Organized around 7 topics, and formatted in the research-based L.E.A.D.E.R.© model, the Academy’s standards-driven curriculum will guide participants through readings, videos, and applications to implement new ideas and tools focused on what it means to be an effective teacher mentor for novice Texas teachers.
Mission & Vision
The overall vision of the We Teach Texas P12 Mentoring and Coaching Academy is to transform the preparation of teacher mentors by providing evidence-based professional development for P12 mentors and coaches who support beginning teachers throughout the state of Texas. Our mission is to:
- Build capacity among P12 teacher mentors
- Support the retention of quality teachers
- Engage school districts as mutual partners to accelerate capacity among mentors
Who Should Attend
This program is designed for P12 teachers who want to enhance their mentoring and coaching ability for beginning teachers and prepare to take on greater leadership responsibilities within their school district.
The We Teach Texas P12 Mentoring and Coaching Academy welcomes individuals or teams from school districts around the state of Texas. Attendance by multiple teachers within a campus or district will foster teamwork, amplify the program’s impact, and enable participants to continue supporting one another’s mentoring development after the training ends. Group registration is available for school districts that qualify for the Texas Education Agency’s Mentor Program Allotment funding.
This online program is designed to be self-paced with additional support from our virtual coordinators. Upon completion of the program, certificates awarded to participants who successfully complete the training.
The We Teach Texas P12 Mentoring and Coaching Academy is a pre-approved provider of Continuing Professional Education (CPE) hours – authorized by the Texas Education Agency. Our Mentor and Coaching Academy offers research-based mentoring and induction training and supports the Texas House Bill (HB) 3’s Mentor Program Allotment.
The Mentor and Coaching Academy is excited to collaborate with you in support of your application for Mentor Program Allotment (MPA) funds. To complete your Mentor Program Allotment application, please download an outline of our curriculum’s scope and sequence document and brochure and submit both items with your application.
- Pre-registration begins May 15, 2020 for payment by invoice only.
- Group registration is available.
- Payment by card will be available June 8, 2020.
- May 15, 2020: Pre-registration for invoicing opens
- June 8, 2020: Open registration and payment by card available
- July 20, 2020: First online session begins
- July 31, 2020: First online session ends
For questions about the program and registration process, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional registration dates will be available in June.
- Fulfill required mentor training – TEC §21.458
- Earn 15 continuing professional education (CPE) hours over 10 days
- Learn best practices in mentoring and coaching
- Inspire the next generation of beginning teachers
- Enhance interpersonal, leadership, reflection, and coaching
- Improve career mobility
- Connect with a community of mentors
- Develop one’s own teaching skills
The We Teach Texas P12 Mentoring and Coaching Academy utilizes a professional development curriculum that is upheld by the following four pillars:
- Standards-driven, and
Through a rich online learning experience that includes a virtual coach, case studies, video exercises, and group discussions, participants will explore the best practices of mentoring and coaching for beginning teachers as well as uncovering the personal core of mentoring with a human-centered philosophy and leadership style.
- Adult Learning Theory and Developing a Mentoring Philosophy
- The Mentor/Mentee Dyad
- High Leverage Teaching Practices
- Best Practices in Mentoring
- Coaching Beginning Teachers
- Online Mentoring
- Performance Management; Providing Quality Written and Oral Feedback Aligned to the Texas Teacher Evaluation & Support System (T-TESS) Standards
During the self-paced online course, you will also participate in a two-session virtual community with several other participants. This authentic peer-based forum allows you to discuss your mentoring questions and growth among critical friends. Exercises that promote individual reflection and peer exchange will provide an opportunity for you to evolve your approach to mentoring and coaching in a supportive environment that encourages more openness and self-reflection than might be not be possible when learning in solitude.
In addition, you will have the opportunity to create a performance management plan: a blueprint for tracking the growth of future beginning teachers under your tutelage.
The We Teach Texas P12 Mentoring and Coaching Academy is a collaboration among the College of Education and Human Development at Texas A&M University, the We Teach Texas initiative of the Texas A&M University System, and facilitated by the Education Leadership Research Center at Texas A&M University.